‘Performance, showing or playing of work in public’ is a ‘restricted act’ in law.  Playing or showing a work to an audience of students at an educational establishment is possible using a legal exception.

This exception is allowed provided that the material is used for ‘illustration for instruction’ and the copying is fair (in that it does not negatively impact on the market for the original work). The work is subject to fair dealing, thus it must be fully referenced, and only the minimum amount used in order to get the point across.

It may be possible for you to play the work under some appropriate licence, such as the ERA Plus Licence, Box of Broadcasts or PRS/PPL Licence.

If you want to play a work in a way which is not covered by a legal exception or by the licences that the University holds, you can always get in touch with the copyright owner of the work and ask for permission directly.

For more information please contact the University’s Copyright Advisors:

Updated by C.Greasley 16th August 2018

 2,093 total views,  1 views today